Saturday 5 July 2014

Flooding on the farm in June 2014

The road to our house was almost totally covered with water, it was an amazing site.

Prior to this event, we had had 90.5mm during the last week of May
Then on June 12th & 13th we had another 40mm, so that was 130.5mm in 3 weeks, which is about 43% or our standard annual rainfall.
Obviously seasons vary, but generally we get about 300mm per year, sometimes up to 350mm if we're lucky.
 This rain event was really rare, hubby certainly had never seen it this wet.

Errr!! So this was our newly sown Barley paddock on June 13th

There were rapids in our driveway!! And Ducks!



This barley paddock dried out reasonably quickly, but some other paddocks still have water sitting in them

Cross slot barley rows
I've been a bit slack at 'floggin my blog' lately so will endeavour to get you some more crop pictures soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karen, thank you for letting me know that you had visited my blog, it was great to hear from you :)

    Looks like you have had some decent rain there. We had lots of wind but very little rain (as usual lol). Your crops are looking good...

    A bit about me; I was born and raised in Ceduna on a 7,500acre farm. I still miss that life, best upbringing a person could have...My parents are now retired and live in Kimba. I still have my roots on the beautiful west coast, even though I don't get back there as often as I would like these days. No excuse really, it's just I get homesick when I return, although I moved away 21 years ago, it still feels like yesterday.

    So nice to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete